why OpenPGP is preferable to S/MIME (Re: NAI pulls out the DMCA stick)

Meyer Wolfsheim wolf at priori.net
Thu May 23 17:23:31 PDT 2002

On Thu, 23 May 2002, Adam Back wrote:

> On Thu, May 23, 2002 at 03:05:49PM -0400, Adam Shostack wrote:
> > So what if we create the Cypherpunks Root CA, which (either) signs
> > what you submit to it via a web page, or publish the secret key?
>
> This won't achieve the desired effect because it will just destroy the
> S/MIME trust mechanism.  S/MIME is based on the assumption that all
> CAs are trustworthy.

Which is, of course, a major flaw.

S/MIME is of some value for internal corporate email for companies who can
run their own CA. (The sort of people who used to be Xcert's customers.)

S/MIME is of very little value outside of a closed intranet environment,
for the simple reason that public CAs are mostly incompetent,
untrustworthy, or both.

-MW-