Ross's TCPA paper

R. A. Hettinga rah at shipwright.com
Sun Jun 30 18:55:58 PDT 2002

At 12:06 AM +0100 on 7/1/02, Ben Laurie wrote:

> No, a pseudonym can be linked to stuff (such as reputation,
> publications, money). An anonym cannot.

More to the point, there is no such "thing" as an "anonym", by definition.

There's no way to link the behavior of one event that an "anonym" causes to
any other event that that "anonym" might, or might not, have caused. If the
events are linkable to the same signing key, which is what we mean
reputation in cypherspace, then you have a pseudonym.

I do agree that a perfect pseudonym is functional anonymity, however, in
the meatspace, is-a-person, biometric identity sense of "anonymity".

Which points up the main flaw in book-entry content settlement/clearing
schemes like the one that Microsoft/WAVE is trying to pull off. If were
just possible to  pay *cash* for *bits*, you don't care *who* bought your
bits, and, frankly, it's not only cheaper, it is, as we will find out soon
enough, impossible to do any other way at the anywhere near the actual cost
of transporting bits across the net.

I leave following that logical thread back to a recursive cash-settled
auction market for content, and the resulting income increase to *creators*
of content mostly at the expense of *distributors* of content :-), as an
exercise for the reader...

Like others, I'm practically praying that Microsoft actually tries to paint
this Escher picture of a financial Russell's paradox. The longer that
Microsoft, the content distributors, and, unfortunately, the financial
community, though learning has to occur sometime, persist in making a
"rights" "management" system which attempts to be both consistent and
complete, the more money other people will make getting a mostly-anonymous
cash-settled bits-on-the-wire content system up and running.

The price of the financial cryptography engineering is falling through the
floor as we speak. Sooner or later, it's just going to happen.

Then things will get interesting.

Cheers,
RAH

--
44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA