maximize best case, worst case, or average case? (TCPA)

Ryan Lackey ryan at havenco.com
Sun Jun 30 14:19:34 PDT 2002

Quoting lynn.wheeler at firstdata.com <lynn.wheeler at firstdata.com>:

> "security modules" are also inside the swipe & pin-entry boxes that you see
> at check-out counters.

Yep -- anything which handles PINs, specifically, and some non-ATM smartcard
payment systems.

> effectively both smartcards and dongles are forms of hardware tokens ....
> the issue would be whether a smartcard form factor might be utilized in a
> copy protection scheme similar to TCPA paradigm .... a single hardware chip
> that you register for all you applications .... or in the dongle paradigm
> .... you get a different smartcard for each application (with the downside
> of the floppy copy protection scenario where a user with a half dozen
> active copy protected applications all wanted "their" smartcard crammed
> into the same smartcard reader simultaneously).

>From a DRM perspective, any system which doesn't put the entire digital stream
and all convenient analog streams inside the trusted, tamperproof boundary
is probably highly imperfect, perhaps to the point where it's really just
a speedbump, no more effective than popping up a dialog box saying "please
don't pirate this software" with a click though EULA.

A concrete example is the DVD.  RPC 1 allowed raw access to the encrypted
data; the encryption could be broken through several techniques (disassembly
of software players to recover keys, or as happened, vulnerabilities in the
algorithm).

Then they came out with RPC 2.  Implementation is highly imperfect (for a
variety of reasons), but in theory, this renders the whole DeCSS issue
relatively dead -- the drive itself will refuse to output a bitstream of any
kind if the region coding is wrong.

RPC 2 can, in theory, prevent the playback of media on drives without the
right region code.  It doesn't, however, prevent grabbing the bitstream off
a licensed dvd in a correct-region player, turning that into a DivX, and
distributing it widely.

Any system which uses a tamper-resistant envelope which doesn't encompass the
entire digital playback stream will end up with this same vulnerability.  It
deters "casual" defeat of the DRM system -- you need to specifically seek
out a pirate copy of the movie in the first place, rather than buying a grey
market import.

In addition, there is the "analog hole"; even if the digital bitstream is
protected fully, any high-quality analog output can be re-digitized and
turned into a fairly acceptable version.   People even go so far as to
do telecine of a kind, aiming a video camera at the screen in a theater.

If it is possible for the underground to distribute a worthwhile copy some
hours or days after initial release, any system with digital or analog hole
will suffer.  This is why, for instance, movies are widely divxed or
illegally VCD'd; movies are still worth seeing a few hours after the first
copies hit the distributors and reviewers (still a few weeks or months ahead
of public release).  However, a live event on pay per view, like a boxing
match or world cup, is much less widely pirated in divx form; even if you can
get a good digital or analog copy of it after the event, who wants to watch it
then?

I think this means, given a constant level of piracy and limitations on DRM,
there is a market incentive to do live and simultaneous global media events,
vs. things which are watchable later for roughly the same value.  Also,
streaming p2p systems or pirate networks are far easier to detect and shut down
than systems with high inbuilt latency.

If content providers shifted their business model to emphasize these
"ephemeral" forms of content, rather than things with lasting value,
they would be able to avoid problems with piracy simply by going after
very large, centralized real-time distributors.  This is ultimately
far more cost effective and politically viable than trying to lock every
device in the world down.  I think there is already a marketing focus on
making "events" out of the release of even durable forms of content --
book launches, movie premieres, etc. -- in the future, perhaps, this
initial event will be the source of the majority of revenue, with residuals
after that event wrapped up in the form of service fees for access to
an unlimited library.  After all, isn't going to an event like Woodstock
worth far more to the average user than a complete audio/video record
of the event after the fact?

Ryan Lackey [RL7618 RL5931-RIPE]        ryan at havenco.com