Ross's TCPA paper

bear bear at sonic.net
Sun Jun 30 13:29:12 PDT 2002

On Sun, 30 Jun 2002, Barney Wolff wrote:

>A pseudonym that I can give up at will and that can never afterwards
>be traced to me is equivalent to an anonym.

Actually, I don't have a problem with it being traced afterwards,
if a crime has been committed and there's a search warrant or
equivalent to trace it in order to further the investigation of
a specific crime.  And that's a pseudonym, not anonymity.

My problem is that if merchant's information is easily linkable,
or if several merchants have access to the same linkable field,
then privacy is out the window.  It's reasonable for a merchant
to know every deal I've ever done with him (pseudonymity).  It's
not reasonable for a merchant to know nothing at all about my
past dealings with anyone including himself (anonymity) nor for
a merchant to know every deal I've done in my life, with everyone
(marketing databases based on linkable ID's).

				Ray