Piracy is wrong

Thomas Tydal dev at tydal.nu
Sat Jun 29 14:43:01 PDT 2002

[From: Anonymous]
> If you take the song without paying for it, you are again receiving this
> gift without following the conditions that were placed on it as part
> of the gift being offered.  You are taking advantage of the artist's
> creativity without them receiving the compensation they required.

Of course. But this isn't about that. At least not for me. The reason I don't like DRM is that it stops me from enjoying the music I buy. Unfortunately record companies are already getting started, which got me into trouble a few weeks ago. I wanted to purchase a CD, but it had something called "copy protection" which made it impossible for me to listen to it. I e-mailed the record company asking what I should do but got no reply. So, I gave up, and downloaded the album from the internet instead, since it was the only way I could think of to get the music. Now, being an honest man (and also wanting to express my opinion) I sent a letter to the record company telling what I had done and why, and enclosed a $10 bill since I wanted to pay for the music.

You can read my letter at http://www.tydal.nu/en/cd/bmg.html