No subject

bear bear at sonic.net
Sat Jun 29 10:03:33 PDT 2002

<cryptography at wasabisystems.com>, "'cypherpunks at lne.com '"
<cypherpunks at lne.com>
Subject: Re: Ross's TCPA paper

> Here's a clue, Mr. Bear.  The cypherpunks list was founded on the
> principle that cyberspace can enhance freedom, and that includes freedom
> to associate with whomever you choose.  Racism is evil, but the solution
> must lie in people's hearts.  Pointing a gun at them and forcing them
> to act in a politically correct manner (which is what civil rights
> regulations really do) is no solution to the problem.

Bear left the Cypherpunks list a long while ago, citing fundamental
disagreements.

"Cryptography" was formed as a putatively apolitical list. Apparently
this is no longer so, and its politics are at odds with the main themes
on our list. (I believe this partly comes about precisely _because_ it
supposedly has no political compass heading.)

I have strong views on all this DRM and TCPA stuff, and especially on
the claim that some form of DRM is needed to prevent government from
taking over control of the "arts."

But we said everything that needed to be said _years_ ago. No point in
repeating the same points.

--Tim May
"Dogs can't conceive of a group of cats without an alpha cat." --David
Honig, on the Cypherpunks list, 2001-11