Ross's TCPA paper

Mike Rosing eresrch at eskimo.com
Fri Jun 28 19:23:26 PDT 2002

On Fri, 28 Jun 2002, Thomas Tydal wrote:

> > Realize that the "trusted" mode of the TCPA will always be only an option,
>
> Bottom line; not if you want to work with protected content. (Which,
>from what I can understand, will include all future songs, movies and
>probably word documents and loads of other data as well.) Or am I missing
>something?

All future songs of *some* companies.  As long as it's an option, there
will be people out there selling CD's to get their music out.  You're not
missing anything.  The question is: will it always be an option?

I hope so.  A bunch of huge companies that need encrypted set top boxes
tied directly to an HDTV and hard to physically hack means lots of jobs.
And they will compete with the markets already in place.  So that's more
jobs for more engineers.

If it's not an option, economics is the least of our problems.

Patience, persistence, truth,
Dr. mike