Ross's TCPA paper

Marcel Popescu mdpopescu at subdimension.com
Thu Jun 27 03:51:03 PDT 2002

From: <pasward at shoshin.uwaterloo.ca>

> As a side note, it seems that a corporation would actually have to
> demonstrate that I had seen and agreed to the thing and clicked
> acceptance.  Prior to that point, I could reverse engineer, since
> there is no statement that I cannot reverse engineer agreed to.  So
> what would happen if I reverse engineered the installation so that the
> agreement that was display stated that I could do what I liked with
> the software?  Ok, so there would be no mutual intent, but on the
> other hand, there would also be no agreement on the click-through
> agreement either.

I have an application that replaces the caption on the "I agree" button to
your liking; I wrote it exactly because of this reasoning.

http://picosoft.freeservers.com/NoLicense.htm

Of course, it's a stupid little program, I'm sure anyone can come up with
something better in no time... BTW, for any lawyers around here - shouldn't
the mere existence of this program be enough to blow up the idea that you
agreed to the click-through stuff?

Mark