"Terror Reading"

Harmon Seaver hseaver at cybershamanix.com
Tue Jun 25 14:56:10 PDT 2002

  As a sysadmin in various libraries, I can attest to the fact that most library
software is set to drop the record of what anyone has checked out as soon as the
book returns. I know that most librarians are extremely opposed to the whole
concept of anyone knowing what other people are reading, know also of one case
of a library clerk being fired when it was discovered that they were spying on
the reading habits of other librarians. And when the FBI tried back in the 50's
and 60's to access library records they were almost universally stonewalled.
   While I realize it would be possible to reset the software to keep the
records longer, if it were indeed happening, everyone working in that library
would be aware of it, and people would be talking. I don't know of any way it
would be possible to make the software keep track of just one person, it would
have to keep the records for everyone. Of course, someone could keep track
manually, but I'd be willing to bet that if this were happening at all, the ALS
would know about it and would be filing suit against the DOJ.

--
Harmon Seaver
CyberShamanix