Fwd: Re: Fwd: Book Review: Peter Wayner's "Translucent Databases"

Peter Wayner pcw2 at flyzone.com
Mon Jun 24 14:02:52 PDT 2002

I think Bob made some great points about my book, but it's clear that
this debate
is revolving around a few sentences in Bob's review. Perhaps he miscategorizes
Brin, perhaps he doesn't. I haven't read _Transparent Society_ in some time.

Still, it's important to realize that this isn't just a battle
between the state
and its citizens. Encryption can provide a practical tool and a great option
for the data management engineers. Brin has a good point about the value
of openness, but I'm sure he doesn't extend it to things like people's credit
card numbers. Brin would probably be interested in the book and the way
it leaves some things in the clear. It's all about translucency,
which is, after
all, partially transparent. The glass is half empty or full. So maybe there's
something in common here?

The right use of encryption (and any anonymity that comes along with it) can
protect businesses, customers, clients, employees and others. I'm sure it
might also be used to by a few elites to avoid scrutiny, but that doesn't have
to be the case.

For me, the mathematics of on-line anonymity are essential parts of
on-line security. While I think that there are plenty of personal and
emotional reasons to embrace anonymity, one of the best is the higher
amount of security the systems offer. Simply put, identity-based
systems are more fragile because identity theft is so easy. Systems
designed for anonymity avoid that weakness because they're designed,
a priori, to work without names. So I think they're just bound to be
a bit safer.

It should be noted that the anonymous techniques developed by Chaum,
Brands and others do not have to be used to avoid scrutiny. You can
always tack on your true name in an additional field. To me, the
systems just avoid relying on the the name field to keep people
honest.

I'm glad Bob sees the resonance between _Translucent Databases_ and
the world of cypherpunk paranoia, but I would like to avoid a strong
connection. It's not that there's no relationship. There is. But the
book is meant to be much more practical. It explores how to use the
right amount of encryption to lock up the personal stuff in a
database without scrambling all of it. In the right situations, the
results can be fast, efficient, and very secure. So the techniques
are good for the paranoids as well as the apolitical DBAs who just
want to do a good job.