Ross's TCPA paper

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Mon Jun 24 07:34:52 PDT 2002

I, for one, can vouch for the fact that TCPA could absolutely
be applied to a DRM application.  In a previous life I actually
designed a DRM system (the company has since gone under).  In
our research and development in '96-98, we decided that you need
at least some trusted hardware at the client to perform any DRM,
but if you _did_ have some _minimal_ trusted hardware, that would
provide a large hook to a fairly secure DRM system.

Check the archives of, IIRC, coderpunks... I started a thread entitled
The Black Box Problem.  The issue is that in a DRM system you (the
content provider) wants to verify the operation of the client, even
though the client is not under your control.  We developed an online
interactive protocol with a sandbox environment to protect content,
but it would certainly be possible for someone to crack it.  Our
threat model was that we didn't want people to be able to use a hacked
client against our distributation system.

We discovered that if we had some trusted hardware that had a few key
functions (I don't recall the few key functions offhand, but it was
more than just encrypt and decrypt) we could increase the
effectiveness of the DRM system astoundingly.  We thought about using
cryptodongles, but the Black Box problem still applies.  The trusted
hardware must be a core piece of the client machine for this to work.

Like everything else in the technical world, TPCA is a tool..  It is
neither good nor bad; that distinction comes in how us humans apply
the technology.

-derek