Harry Potter released unprotected

Joseph Ashwood ashwood at msn.com
Tue Jun 18 01:18:06 PDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Lucky Green" <shamrock at cypherpunks.to>
> Joseph Ashwood wrote:
> > This looks like just a
> > pilot program. Watch the normal piracy channels though, if
> > Harry Potter shows up stronger than other releases
> > Macrovision will be around a while. But if Harry Potter isn't
> > substantially hit by piracy, then you might want to start
> > shorting Macrovision, they'll start losing customers.
>
> I am confused. AFAICT, the majority of movie piracy today takes place
> via DivX from DVD's. How does Macrovision even play a role in this?

In it's realistic form, Macrovision has nothing to do with any of it.
However since it is current industry protocol to use Macrovision
copy-protection, Macrovision is of interest. In truth, this isn't even a
question of copy-protection, there's plenty of evidence that none of that
works. Instead this is about a technology, and a company, the technology is
the Macrovision copy-protection technology, and the company explicitly
involved is Macrovision. Macrovision makes the bulk of their profits from
this copy-protection technology, and since it is a copy-protection
technology it is of general interest to many cypherpunks, even if not in any
real way. (see the other reply regarding picture corrections). Because of
Macrovision's heavy reliance on the copy-protection technology for profits,
an undermining of that critical asset will greatly diminish the value of the
company, and so diminish the stock price. For any other purpose, there's
basically no reason for this thread at all. Hope this helped a bit.
                    Joe