Harry Potter released unprotected

Joseph Ashwood ashwood at msn.com
Sat Jun 15 13:51:21 PDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve Schear" <schear at lvcm.com>

> >Harry Potter released unprotected

> So, is this just a test or has at least one industry giant decided, as the
> software industry learned long ago, that the cost of copy protection often
> exceeds its value.

I believe it's a test. The studio has determined that Harry Potter has
already made a (sizable) profit, so using it for an experiment is
acceptable. By testing on a big budget target they can now determine if
copy-protection costs exceed value.

> Time to short Macrovision (MVSN, NASDAQ NM)?  In the past year the stock
> has dropped from about $72 to about $14.  I wonder if their $1.00 drop in
> price on today's opening reflects this news?

I don't think so, not yet at least. This looks like just a pilot program.
Watch the normal piracy channels though, if Harry Potter shows up stronger
than other releases Macrovision will be around a while. But if Harry Potter
isn't substantially hit by piracy, then you might want to start shorting
Macrovision, they'll start losing customers.
                    Joe