Sci Journals, authors, internet

Tom tom at lemuria.org
Thu Jun 13 07:06:57 PDT 2002

On Thu, Jun 13, 2002 at 06:27:04AM -0700, Mike Rosing wrote:
> > simply dispose of the work, or use it as kindling in his fireplace, once
> > he no longer desires to own it. No, you can't just burn that painting
> > you bought from some street corner painter five years ago. Though you
> > are permitted to give the painting back to the artist. Without
> > compensation, of course.
>
> the american artists are also trying to get this kind of "right"
> in place for themselves.  The perspective isn't so much copyright
> as it is "leave it alone forever".  But it amounts to the same thing.

actually, as with most laws, the basic idea behind the "moral rights"
isn't that bad, it just got perverted.

if used differently, the "morale rights" part could well be used to put
a limit on the corporate abuse of copyright. for example, I could
envision an argument that an artist sues the RIAA for abusing his
copyrighted works for bogus lawsuits against P2P systems.

--
New GPG Key issued (old key expired):
http://web.lemuria.org/pubkey.html