Sci Journals, authors, internet

Mike Rosing eresrch at eskimo.com
Thu Jun 13 07:45:18 PDT 2002

On Thu, 13 Jun 2002, Tom wrote:

> actually, as with most laws, the basic idea behind the "moral rights"
> isn't that bad, it just got perverted.
>
> if used differently, the "morale rights" part could well be used to put
> a limit on the corporate abuse of copyright. for example, I could
> envision an argument that an artist sues the RIAA for abusing his
> copyrighted works for bogus lawsuits against P2P systems.

I guess the argument would boil down to who has copyright and who or what
has "moral right".  For sculpture and painting the duplication rights are
kind of obvious, but the destruction/use/"first sale" is complicated.
For digital art/music duplication rights are complicated, and use in
other works ("fair use") gets really messy.

And if I take a digital photo (well many pictures) of a sculpture and
reconstruct it in a 3D virtual world, is that "fair use" or copyright
violation?  Blech, this is gonna get worse before it gets better!

Patience, persistence, truth,
Dr. mike