Ben's blinding, plus pre-publishing

Jason Holt jason at lunkwill.org
Mon Jun 10 18:56:34 PDT 2002

>Maybe you could say more about the details of your credential system.
>Such a system built on Wagner blinding might be very interesting.

	I've been thinking it would be nice to post my entire paper here (and
maybe on sci.crypt.research) before sending it off to the journals.  What are
the issues surrounding that, though?

	The academic folks here seem uncomfortable when I talk about it, like
I'd be leaking something secret.  AFAICT, nobody else would be able to apply
for a patent on the idea without telling a lot of lies in the process.  So
that leaves the possibility that somebody whips out another paper on the topic
before mine's all the way done.  Are the journals going to be snippy about
copyright issues?  Why haven't I seen other papers published on usenet and
such before going to press?

>> If I replace h1 with (g^b0) and get the issuer to sign:
>>
>> ((g^b0)*g^b1 *h2*g^b2 *h3*g^b3...)^k
>>
>> I should be able to divide the two results and get h1^k.  But part of the
>> cut-and-choose protocol will be to require that the n/2 checked documents
>> are all valid and different from any previous instances of the protocol.
>> So it should be extremely hard for the user to sneak lots of previously
>> used values and fake h's (which are really blinding factors) into the
>> unrevealed documents.  But are there other ways to separate out signatures
>> on individual h's?

>You're really going to remember all the discarded h values from all the
>data.  How many h values do you typically expect?

	I get around that by having the issuer issue a new random value for
each issuing session which gets hashed several times along with some other
data before going into the blinded messages.  You have to prove that the value
properly descends from the issuer's random value, which makes it tough to
reuse values from a previous session.

						-J