FBI Net Tips

John Young jya at pipeline.com
Sat Jun 8 07:57:14 PDT 2002

A follow up on the LEO hit of Cryptome on 4 June 2002 referred
from

  http://home.leo.gov/rollcall/internet_tips/2002/tip_060302.htm

Here's the LEO website:

  http://www.fbi.gov/hq/cjisd/leo.htm

Activities described on this site appear to contradict recent
congressional testimony by the FBI director and SA Rowley
about the bureau's Internet ineptitude and out-of-date
telecomm capabilities.

Thanks to SC for the LEO pointer, who also writes:

-----

Just thought I'd follow up on the referer hit from leo.gov. I scanned
the leo.gov subnet from 4.21.116.1 on up to 4.21.116.254.

The dns name for 4.21.116.1 is genuity-gw1.leo.gov -- probably the
gateway which Genuity government ISP

  http://www.genuity.com/services/government/security.htm

has set up to route traffic to and from the LEO system. Genuity appear
to have quite the e-government business going. Your tax dollars at
work.

All of the "security" which the FBI talks about on its LEO page

  http://www.fbi.gov/hq/cjisd/leo_sorum_intvue.htm

is probably just them throwing money at Genuity's rebranding of
out-of-the-box VPN stuff from Alcatel and Nortel. VPNs and
complex passwords and a special email server so their jokes
don't get lost -- what will they think of next we are left asking.
An expensive lame-net for people who think they're working
if they click around on their computer screen between meetings
with software vendors.

The lame commentary from the FBI suit on the LEO page would
tend to confirm this. Sounds like the bureacrats everywhere who
feel that they are doing their job if they are spending money
justifying their job title.

-----