overcoming ecash deployment problems (Re: all about transferable off-line ecash)

Adam Back adam at cypherspace.org
Thu Jun 6 09:12:42 PDT 2002

I think you are assuming things about rational economic behavior when
a money system is subject to high deflation.

Consider during periods of high inflation people don't like holding
money, as it devalues too fast.  They will hold interest bearing
deposits instead.

During periods of high deflation, they will hold cash if it is the
most attractive "investment".  The result will be shortage of cash,
for people who actually want to use it to make purchases because
investors will buy all of it.

Perhaps there are some government monetary systems in history which
had this problem.  For example gold with sudden shortage of gold
supply, or similar.

Adam