BBC hijacks TiVo recorders

jet jet at spies.com
Sun Jun 2 23:34:51 PDT 2002

At 0:24 -0700 2002/06/02, Marc wrote:
>To be honest, the complaints about this are excessive. The problem
>isn't that the TiVo recorded a promotional show, it's that it recorded a
>show that has some semi-adult content in it and parental controls don't
>restrict promotional recordings.

...and they did this at the request of the BBC who paid them to do it.

yeesh.  I don't think anyone came out of this looking good.

>UltimateTV surprisingly is less intrusive, it doesn't have to use the
>phone at all (except for standard DirecTV PPV calls) and uses the
>downstream from the dish to verify subscriptions.

making it easier to bypass paying for service than it is on the TiVo, just activate the right tier and presto, UTV service.

--
J. Eric Townsend -- jet spies com
buy stickers: http://www.spies.com/jet/store.html