When encryption is also authentication...

Lucky Green shamrock at cypherpunks.to
Sun Jun 2 17:03:43 PDT 2002

Curt wrote:
> I concur.  The problem is that the most prevalent e-mail
> program (Outlook) requires no user intervention as a default
> when signing and/or encrypting a message with S/MIME.  One
> can override the default to "High Security" (requiring
> password) only while the X.509 certificate is being installed.

A locking screen saver has been part of Windows since I believe Windows
3.0, but certainly since Windows 95. Proximity cards that you keep in
your pocket that automatically lock your Windows workstation when you
step away from it are readily available in the marketplace.

And yes, it generally is a bad idea to walk away from your workstation
in a shared space while leaving yourself logged in as root.

--Lucky