document popularity estimation / amortizable hashcash (Re: Hollywood Hackers)

Adam Back adam at cypherspace.org
Wed Jul 31 13:34:35 PDT 2002

I proposed a construct which could be used for this application:
called "amortizable hashcash".

	http://www.cypherspace.org/hashcash/amortizable.pdf

The application I had in mind was also file sharing.  (This was
sometime in Mar 2000).  I described this problem as the "disitrbuted
document popularity estimation" problem.  The other aspect of the
problem is you have to distribute the popularity estimate and make it
accessible, so I think you want it to be workably compact (you don't
want to ship around 1 million hash collisions on the document hash).
Amortizable hashcash addresses this problem.

There is also some discussion of it here:

	http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/crypto/2000-q1/0440.html

Adam