Do we need a national ID plan?

Bill Stewart bill.stewart at pobox.com
Tue Jul 23 01:43:18 PDT 2002

At 05:22 PM 07/22/2002 -0700, Steve Schear wrote:
>In  this article http://news.com.com/2010-1079-945347.html?tag=politech
>you said:
>"That's a reasonable position: The White House has never made an
>unequivocal statement against the scheme, and it's possible that America
>could edge toward a situation where the federal government devises an ID
>and orders everyone to carry it at all times. Most European countries
>already require just that."
>
>Wouldn't this requirement violate the probable cause requirement for
>seizures of a person which been defined by a series of cases, beginning
>with Terry v. Ohio , 392 U.S. 1, 88 S.Ct. 1868, 20 L.Ed.2d 889 (1968)?

Of course it would.  That's why we'll probably never have a
National ID Card - we'll just have a driver's license that's
technically enhanced with personal data and biometrics
and forgery resistance and gets used for everything that a
national ID card would be used for if we had such things
(except that kids won't be required to carry them,
unless they want to drive, drink, go to government schools,
or be out after dark, and we'll probably see increased use of
Student ID Cards with pictures, SSNs, and biometrica.)