DRM will not be legislated

David Wagner daw at mozart.cs.berkeley.edu
Wed Jul 17 17:40:13 PDT 2002

AARG! Anonymous  wrote:
>David Wagner wrote:
>> The Hollings bill was interesting not for its success or failure, but
>> for what it reveals the content companies' agenda.
>
>The CBDTPA, available in text form at
>http://www.politechbot.com/docs/cbdtpa/hollings.s2048.032102.html,
>does not explicitly call for legislating DRM.

What's your point?  If you think the CBDTPA wasn't about legislating
DRM or something like it, we must be from different planets.

I'll elaborate.  CBDTPA delegated power to the FCC to specify standards
that all digital devices would have to implement.  It is not at all
surprising that CBDTPA was drafted to allow the FCC great freedom
in choosing the technical details as necessary to achieve the bill's
objectives.  It is equally clear that supporters of the bill were pushing
for some mandatory "Fritz chip", do-not-copy bit, Macrovision protection,
copy protection, or other DRM-like technical measure.  This issue is
not going away quietly.