385-3 vote: House OKs life sentences for hackers

Elyn Wollensky elyn at consect.com
Tue Jul 16 09:29:32 PDT 2002

seems the cyber-terrorist FUD is starting to hit the fan ...
;~(

House OKs life sentences for hackers
But time may run out for computer crime bill in Senate
http://www.msnbc.com/news/780923.asp

WASHINGTON, July 15 - The House of Representatives voted overwhelmingly
Monday to create a new punishment of life imprisonment for malicious
computer hackers. By a 385-3 vote, the House approved a computer crime bill
that also expands police ability to conduct Internet or telephone
eavesdropping without first obtaining a court order.

<snip>

"Until we secure our cyber infrastructure, a few keystrokes and an
Internet connection is all one needs to disable the economy and endanger
lives," sponsor Lamar Smith, R-Tex., said earlier this year. "A mouse can be
just as dangerous as a bullet or a bomb."

<snip>