Finding encrytion algorithm

Jim Choate ravage at einstein.ssz.com
Thu Jul 11 19:31:48 PDT 2002

On Thu, 11 Jul 2002, Sandy Harris wrote:

> No. Any good algorithm should produce output that looks /exactly/
> like random noise, hence they should all look like each other.

Wrong, not all RNG's have the same statistical output. There is -nothing-
in the requirement for a RNG that requires it (radiation sources are not
equiprobable for example, they're much more 'zero' than 'one'). There may
be boundary conditions on crypto applications that require equiprobable
distributions with respect to characters or strings (that 'k' thing
again, see Knuth). But that doesn't apply to -all- RNG's or their
applications by a long shot.

Also, 'random noise' is redundent. 'Noise' is by -definition- random,
otherwise it wouldn't be noise, it would have a correlation factor, once
you found it you could remove the noise (assuming of course its
computationaly tractible).

              When I die, I would like to be born again as me.

                                            Hugh Hefner
     ravage at ssz.com                                         www.ssz.com
     jchoate at open-forge.org                          www.open-forge.org