[linux-elitists] Casual Encryption (fwd)

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Wed Jul 10 23:57:07 PDT 2002

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 15:11:59 -0700
From: Aaron T Porter <atporter at primate.net>
To: linux-elitists at zgp.org
Subject: [linux-elitists] Casual Encryption

	Just a quick plea for all the elitists to seriously consider
enabling SMTP-TLS on any and all mail servers they control. With the US
government in Ashcroft juggernaut mode for the forseable future, I fear
that the use of encryption will quickly become a red flag for further
observation. If we can reach a point where a sizable portion of SMTP
traffic is encrypted regardless of the content we can reduce any
implications of sending encrypted mail. Probably doesn't make your
standard Carnivore install too happy either.
	On most mail systems, enabling TLS is incredibly easy (one line
config change on my Debian Sendmail box). It's a one-time fix that affects
even technologically challenged users. I've tacked some links below for
common MTA's.

Qmail http://www.esat.kuleuven.ac.be/~vermeule/qmail/tls.patch
Postfix http://www.aet.tu-cottbus.de/personen/jaenicke/pfixtls/
Exim http://www.exim.org/exim-html-3.20/doc/html/spec_38.html