IP: SSL Certificate "Monopoly" Bears Financial Fruit

Greg Broiles gbroiles at parrhesia.com
Wed Jul 10 16:31:24 PDT 2002

At 03:48 PM 7/10/2002 -0700, jamesd at echeque.com wrote:
>     --
>On 6 Jul 2002 at 9:33, R. A. Hettinga wrote:
> > Thawte has now announced a round of major price increases.  New
> > cert prices appear to have almost doubled, and renewals have
> > increased more than 50%.
>[...]
>Why is not someone else issuing certificates?

See <http://www.securityspace.com/s_survey/sdata/200206/certca.html> for
recent data re SSL certificate market share; Geotrust, at
<http://www.geotrust.com>, has 11% of the market, and appears (from their
web pages; I haven't bought one) to be ready to issue SSL server certs
without the torturous document review process which Verisign invented but
Thawte managed to make simultaneously more intrusive and less relevant.

--
Greg Broiles -- gbroiles at parrhesia.com -- PGP 0x26E4488c or 0x94245961