Tax consequences of becoming a US citizen.

Greg Vassie greg at cypher.net
Tue Jul 9 20:38:01 PDT 2002

> >>years after you leave the U.S." tax scheme. (Yes, any U.S. citizen who
> >>moves anywhere in the world must, technically, file U.S. tax returns
> >>for
> >>10 years after leaving. And pay various kinds of taxes, though the
> >>amount may be different from what he would have paid had he remained in
> >>the U.S.)
> >
> >Where did you find the 10 year limit information?  AFAIK, US
> >expatriates are subject to US taxes on their worldwide income as long
> >as they remain US citizens, tax treaties and other exemptions
> >notwithstanding.
>
> You are incorrect. Renouncing citizenship does not relieve most people
> who need relief from the burden.

I think we're talking about two different things here.  What I meant
to say is every piece of information I've been able to find states
that US citizens residing outside the US have to file tax returns and
are subject to US tax laws for the rest of their lives.  Whereas you
stated that US citizens residing outside the US only have to file tax
returns for 10 years after leaving the US, and I haven't seen that
anywhere, despite extensive research on the issue since I'm a US
citizen residing outside the US.

My choice of the word 'expatriate' in my previous post was incorrect
and for that I apologize.

--
greg at cypher.net // RSA Key: 0x1606F91D // DSS Key: 0x83BB5BE4

"When liberty is taken away by force it can be restored by force. When
it is relinquished voluntarily by default it can never be recovered."
-- Dorothy Thompson