"to outlaw general purpose computers"

Harmon Seaver hseaver at cybershamanix.com
Tue Jul 9 18:49:35 PDT 2002

On Tue, Jul 09, 2002 at 03:17:52PM -0400, Sunder wrote:

> Sure, you can revive old hardware with Linux, but you'll find it runs KDE
> 3.0 or GNOME slower than windows 95 did on the same hardware.  So unless
> you're willing to also go to older software (or at least less demanding
> software) you've still got a useless machine.

   What? Your brand of crack must be particularly poor these days. A 200mhz
cyrix cpu runs linux w/gnome fast enough for most anything. Slower than
w95??? Come again? I've run 1ghz boxes and they really don't surf the net much
faster, so what's your point?

> OTOH, if it does work well enough, and you don't care for swapping memos
> in Micro$loth Word V283.23 with cow-orkers or don't care about watching
> the latest 3d movie on XVD disks, then by all means, if you don't mind the
> huge power consumption, use that old iron.

  power consumption?? my 200mhz box?

--
Harmon Seaver
CyberShamanix