Tax consequences of becoming a US citizen.

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Tue Jul 9 19:33:52 PDT 2002

On Tuesday, July 9, 2002, at 06:40  PM, Greg Vassie wrote:

>> years after you leave the U.S." tax scheme. (Yes, any U.S. citizen who
>> moves anywhere in the world must, technically, file U.S. tax returns
>> for
>> 10 years after leaving. And pay various kinds of taxes, though the
>> amount may be different from what he would have paid had he remained in
>> the U.S.)
>
> Where did you find the 10 year limit information?  AFAIK, US
> expatriates are subject to US taxes on their worldwide income as long
> as they remain US citizens, tax treaties and other exemptions
> notwithstanding.

You are incorrect. Renouncing citizenship does not relieve most people
who need relief from the burden.

http://www.hcfa.gov/medicare/mip/full-kk.htm

"Health Insurance Portability Act of 1996"

Google is your friend.

--Tim May
"Ben Franklin warned us that those who would trade liberty for a little
bit of temporary security deserve neither. This is the path we are now
racing down, with American flags fluttering."-- Tim May, on events
following 9/11/2001