Tax consequences of becoming a US citizen.

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Tue Jul 9 17:11:13 PDT 2002

On Tuesday, July 9, 2002, at 03:40  PM, Gabriel Rocha wrote:
> The US is one of the few countries that I know of (or about) that do not
> allow people ona  student permit to work.

Mexico does not allow _any_ noncitizen to work!

Except for folks of either a) substantial resources, b) connected with a
U.S. employer. But try visiting a Mexican city and applying for a job at
a restaurant, bookstore, whatever. This was a plot element in "The
Treasure of the Sierra Madre," more than 50 years ago, and it remains
true today. It is also difficult for non-citizens to work in many
European nations.

It's always hilarious for me to watch Mexicans screaming "Dat be
racist! " (whoops, wrong language, but same idea) about how the tens of
millions of illegal Mexicans who were given permanent residency under
Simpson-Mozzoli were not enough, that the _new_ flood of Mexicans and
Salvadorans and Guatemalans and..... should be given "amnesty."

Meanwhile, like I said, see how long you live as an illegal alien in
Mexico or Nicaragua, and see if they will issue a work permit.

The U.S. is fucked up, to be sure, but talking about other countries
making it easier for foreigners to work is mostly nonsense.

--Tim May

--Tim May
"The great object is that every man be armed and everyone who is able
may have a gun." --Patrick Henry
"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be
properly armed." --Alexander Hamilton