Artists

Trei, Peter ptrei at rsasecurity.com
Mon Jul 8 08:25:41 PDT 2002

> Marcel Popescu[SMTP:mdpopescu at subdimension.com]
>
> Regarding our recent thread on copyrights and artists who won't create
> anymore if they're not getting paid, has anyone ever played with the
> WinAmp
> plug-ins? Some of them are amazingly beautiful.
>
> Now, are they upset that people copy them? On the contrary - some of them
> are accused of creating bogus accounts to boost the reputation of their
> plug-ins, or lower that of their best competitors. So much for "we won't
> create if we aren't paid" - and, again, I'm not talking Britney Spears or
> Picasso here, I'm talking beauty.
>
> Mark

True, but I'll bet almost anything that none of the plugins were written
by corporations expecting to get a return on their investment.

Some forms of creation require little in the way of up-front investment.
Others do. Consider movies. While some of the people involved get
to do creative work that they love, many don't, and they all have
to make a living somehow. Would the Key Grip, the Focus
Puller, or the Greensmen be willing to do their work for the sheer
creativity of it all? I don't think so. The principle shooting for the
LOTR trilogy took over 18 months, in New Zealand. Do you think
they did it (just) for love?

Art forms which require large prior investments need some
form of remuneration beyond egoboo. Otherwise, they just won't
happen.

Peter Trei