DRM as a Smart Contract

Ed Stone estone at synernet.com
Sun Jul 7 17:24:42 PDT 2002

At 07:51 PM 7/7/02, you wrote:
>Nick Szabo created the idea of Smart Contracts several years ago.
>http://www.best.com/~szabo.  These would be self-enforcing agreements
>that were based on technology rather than laws.  It all sounded cool at
>the time.
>
>But isn't DRM a form of Smart Contract?  If I need a special viewer to
>download some content, and that viewer enforces the terms of the contract
>which allows me to do the download, that enforcement happens without
>any laws.  It is all handled by the technology.  It's a Smart Contract.
>
>It's interesting how ideas can sound good until you realize that they
>won't let you take other people's creative output without their consent.
>Maybe it's time for cypherpunks to put principle over greed.

If a large set of content providers adopt, as a cartel, a specific, single
form of smart contract that requires the same specific form of hardware
that they approve, and such adoption freezes out non-approved hardware from
maintaining commercial scale, then questions of monopoly and collusion
arise, and the question of greed seems to shine strongest on the cartel, in
my view.

Regardless, to look at the entertainment industry and cypherpunks as a
group, some might suspect the greater greed is not among the cypherpunks.
The largest single cost was distribution. Digital communications can make
that essentially free. When may we expect a price reduction that parallels
the cost reduction? Or are they greedy?