"First, get it built into all CPU chips...only _then_ make it mandatory."

jamesd at echeque.com jamesd at echeque.com
Sun Jul 7 08:33:14 PDT 2002

    --
On 7 Jul 2002 at 0:42, Gary Jeffers wrote:
> I suspect the the US solution would be hardware. All new
> hardware would be maliced and old hardware would become
> obsolete.

The plan, as envisaged by our enemies, is that first almost
everyone will voluntarily run a "trusted" operating system in
order to view copyrighted entertainment.   The major capability of
the new hardware will be to advertise to servers that trusted
software is in control.  Then new hardware that is willing to run
an "untrusted" operating system will be banned. After all, only
pirates, drug trafficers, money launderers, and child
pornographers are running untrusted software. Then only properly
degreed people will be authorized to work on untrusted operating
systems and hardware campable of running them.  The qualifications
for being properly degreed, like the qualifications for medicine,
will become increasing related to control and less related to
competence.  Unauthorized possession of untrusted hardware will
become subject to increasingly severe sanctions, and net access
will only be possible through a gateway and proxies running
trusted sofware.

Of course the flaw in this is step one -- almost everyone runs a
"trusted" operating system.   When step one does not seem to be
happening, it will be announced to be largely complete, and then
step two will be launched prematurely, and so will encounter
considerable hostility..

    --digsig
         James A. Donald
     c6oGyTOTR4sjs5j10gZI6c8osgJ1nsUjWBiuVfcv
     2tuCE2J8F56JYFA6IB8E7zAWovOi9DOy+tkuBnRCm