Piracy is wrong

Major Variola (ret) mv at cdc.gov
Sat Jul 6 07:57:09 PDT 2002

At 08:33 AM 7/5/02 +0300, Mikko Sdreld wrote:
>If there were
>no copyright laws, I bet you would have to sign all sort of things to
get
>tv channels home. And yes, it would be quite a pain in the ass to do
this
>way 'afterwords' when people already have tv's and expect them to work
>without doing anything.

1. Simply done by hacking a few lines of legal code when you sign your
subscriber agreement
(eg to a cable service)

2. In a poodle-run society you can consider paying the BBC tax as
consenting to an agreement

3. Other oppressive societies may consider the RF spectrum as State
property and simply use
their threat of violence to force contracts on passive interceptors of
signals.  (And woe to the
'trespassers' who would actually transmit..)