Piracy is wrong

Mikko Särelä msarela at cc.hut.fi
Thu Jul 4 22:33:39 PDT 2002

On Thu, 4 Jul 2002 jamesd at echeque.com wrote:
> Let us make a more realistic supposition:
>
> Let us suppose instead he organized an entertainment where a
> lightly clad singer sang and danced, and showed that video on
> television interspersed with advertisments, and I then captured
> that video on my hard disk, deleted the ads, and put it on the
> internet.
>
> In that case, where is my promise?  Doubtless I must have made it
> in the same moment of forgetfulness as I signed the social
> contract.

Nowadays, nowhere. And that is mostly because of copyrights. If there were
no copyright laws, I bet you would have to sign all sort of things to get
tv channels home. And yes, it would be quite a pain in the ass to do this
way 'afterwords' when people already have tv's and expect them to work
without doing anything.

--
Mikko        "One Ring to rule them all,
              One Ring to find them,