maximize best case, worst case, or average case? (TCPA)

jamesd at echeque.com jamesd at echeque.com
Thu Jul 4 12:54:51 PDT 2002

    --
On 4 Jul 2002 at 10:10, Major Variola (ret) wrote:
> Nations register xerox machines.  They confiscate radio
> receivers. They can close down the media.  They require location
> tech in cell phones.  They require CALEA in telco switches. They
> bust machinists who make guns as a hobby. Sure, bits can be
> copied and stored a lot easier. Deploying them isn't so easy.
> Look at the pedo-image busts.

While deploying them is not easy, neither is stopping them.  I
recently downloaded everything in the anime.multimedia newsgroup.
I got a handful of anime movies and a huge collection of non anime
images of preteen female children engaged in a variety of sexual
acts, presumably because the newsgroup
binaries.pictures.erotica.preteen.female gets poor distribution.

The government's ability to coerce is limited.  They will not go
over the top, and attempt measures requiring a totalitarian state,
but at the same time they are probing around, looking for measures
where they can get substantial affects at acceptable levels of
coercion.

    --digsig
         James A. Donald
     Qb8Zpd5gsEOfBQf8F4TilhD/omGt4K22z648UPfr
     2icW83/avg4aE/oPfes5a10T0vmSqOZ0u1R+ZLyuX