maximize best case, worst case, or average case? (TCPA)

Anonymous nobody at remailer.privacy.at
Wed Jul 3 22:38:08 PDT 2002

James Donald writes:
> On 3 Jul 2002 at 10:48, xganon wrote:
> > Do you really think that DRM systems could eliminate cypherpunk
> > applications?  Have you thought this through in detail?  Please
> > expand on it.
>
> The system as specified is harmless, because it can run anyone's
> code, and thus can run napster like applications (break once, copy
> everywhere.)  It also has many useful and valuable privacy
> protecting applications.
>
> However it is a system and set of institutions that can validate
> that properly authorized code is running, and thus with a
> relatively minor change can ensure that ONLY properly authorized
> code may be run -- (Hey, we will protect you from all viruses, and
> all poorly written code, and all code that facilitates anti social
> behavior.)

Okay, you are afraid that only "properly authorized" code will run.
Let's talk about one area: programming languages.

What about compilers?  Development systems?  No doubt you'll claim these
will be restricted.  They'll be like assault weapons.  Use a compiler,
go to jail.  This despite the fact that they are necessary tools for
technological progress today.

And what about interpreted languages?  Python, Ruby?  What about Perl?
Seriously: will they ban Perl?  Half the web depends on it!  How can
they keep people from running Perl?

Or do you think that only "properly authorized" Perl scripts will run?
That will never work.  Perl is tweaked all the time; the whole point
of using it is so that you can adapt your site functionality quickly
and easily.

The whole idea of outlawing programming languages and allowing people
to only run software on an approved list is utterly ridiculous.
Custom software is widely used throughout the world for all kinds of
mission critical activities.  Business would never allow the government
to forbid custom software.

People point to guns.  Computer languages aren't anything like guns.
You can ban handguns and it doesn't hurt anyone's business except a
few gun sellers.  Banning custom computer software will drive a stake
through the heart of business innovation and competition.

It's time for cypherpunks to remove their paranoia-colored glasses.
One apocalyptic prediction after another has been proven false.
Even post 9/11 the government floated one timid trial balloon about
possibly restricting crypto, and it was shot down in a hail of criticism
from all directions.

If they can't even ban crypto, you think they'll be able to ban Perl?
People who believe this are utterly disconnected from reality.

To the extent that people fear the TCPA and DRM because they think it will
take us down a path to the mythical state where only approved software
runs, they need to think again.  It can't be done.  Software is infinitely
malleable, and it is this property that makes it so crucially important
in business today.  The government can no more ban unapproved software
than it could require companies to forego the use of computers entirely.