Markets (was Re: Hayek was right. Twice.)

Marcel Popescu mdpopescu at subdimension.com
Wed Jul 3 11:35:14 PDT 2002

From: "Sampo Syreeni" <decoy at iki.fi>

> >There's no such thing as "efficient level", except in the tautology "the
> >market outcome is always efficient".
>
> Only if you take as granted a market based on some fixed set of property
> rights and other rules of exchange. If you do this, there is no reason to
> discuss the issue further and your reply was, to put it bluntly,
> superfluous.

I can't see a market defined as anything else than "private property and
voluntary exchange".

> >We both created stuff we didn't expect to be paid for - these emails.
>
> True. But somehow I fail to see how one can scale this sort of reasoning
> to entail anything approaching one of the current TOP10 movies.

Irrelevant. Does Linux scale to your intended target any better? How about a
voluntary army in WW2? People do even "grand" things without expecting to be
paid (or even worse, expecting to die from it), because they want to. If you
want them to produce more, feel free to pay them. Arguments "I don't like
that they only produce this much, so YOU should pay them" are at least
inane.

Mark