Hayek was right. Twice.

jamesd at echeque.com jamesd at echeque.com
Wed Jul 3 13:34:02 PDT 2002

    --

On 3 Jul 2002 at 20:49, Sampo Syreeni wrote:
> True. But somehow I fail to see how one can scale this sort of
> reasoning to entail anything approaching one of the current
> TOP10 movies.

First, lost of people make plays, music, ballet, etc, without
expectation of turning a profit from copyright.  Partly it is to
impress the chicks, partly to sell idea, and sell stuff.  The
Powerpuff movie is largely funded by toymakers.

Secondly, if everyone had a chip containing all the movies and
television shows that were ever made, would it be such a disaster
if movie production declined?  Most movies, and most music videos
are just copycat stuff.   In the course of channel surfing I
recently saw the latest singer chick, made up like Suzi Quatro,
doing a total ripoff of Suzi Quatro's version of "I love rock and
roll", using very similar props to Suzi Quatro.  Did we really
need the extra version?  Would it not be better if we had better
access to the original (and much better) version.

    --digsig
         James A. Donald
     cViyObtLN5BKiheTPxywftMCkfzYp19VoUGNbStu
     2J8LQiLfHEVpAn5S63xnIH6XUNss3bIzaSNfvdCvv