maximize best case, worst case, or average case? (TCPA)

jamesd at echeque.com jamesd at echeque.com
Wed Jul 3 13:25:12 PDT 2002

    --
On 3 Jul 2002 at 10:48, xganon wrote:
> Do you really think that DRM systems could eliminate cypherpunk
> applications?  Have you thought this through in detail?  Please
> expand on it.

The system as specified is harmless, because it can run anyone's
code, and thus can run napster like applications (break once, copy
everywhere.)  It also has many useful and valuable privacy
protecting applications.

However it is a system and set of institutions that can validate
that properly authorized code is running, and thus with a
relatively minor change can ensure that ONLY properly authorized
code may be run -- (Hey, we will protect you from all viruses, and
all poorly written code, and all code that facilitates anti social
behavior.)

It is disturbingly similar to a system that is not harmless.

    --digsig
         James A. Donald
     RSKjGT73BB+nfEj0qtX0sn0B+4QQ71DrX+4wNum/
     2k5arIOwIFz87qvNido6QITyV6Mpu6esId/LUiBWq