[OT] why was private gold ownership made illegal in the US?

Michael Motyka mmotyka at lsil.com
Wed Jul 3 10:42:33 PDT 2002

Tim May <tcmay at got.net> wrote :

>On Wednesday, July 3, 2002, at 08:50  AM, Michael Motyka wrote:
>> IIRC many of the wealthy were quick enough to ship huge amounts of gold
>> to Europe. That is one reason I have heard given that the St Gauden's
>> $20 gold pices of that era are possibly poor investments - there is a
>> reservoir of them overseas.
>
>But St. Gaudens coins were readily available during the time when gold
>ownership was banned.
>
>(Let me be overly careful: They were purchasable from coin stores and
>mail order places in the mid-1960s. I know because I used to see them
>listed at a price I clearly remember: $49.50.)
>
>I assume they did not just suddenly become available at the time I
>happened to be paying attention, and that they were purchasable in 1960,
>1950, 1940, etc. The exemption for numismatic value, of course.

The opinion I am repeating ( not mine, but seems plausible ) is that the
supply of numismatic quality St. Gauden's may be such that the current
premiums are not justified.

>Owning coins for collector, or numismatic, value, is of course a
>different kettle of fish than owning gold as bullion.

The premium over the bullion value is a very large component of the
price.

I've tried to learn a bit about coin collecting but I find myself
hesitant to plunge right into it. It's just like any other "investment",
subject to bubbles, busts and shady operators. I don't know enough to
feel comfortable with it.

Having watched bullion prices for a while it appears to have two major
factors : a bet on fear ( peaked during the India/Pakistan prick wagging
contest ) and against a strong dollar. Yet another trading option.

>--Tim May

Mike