maximize best case, worst case, or average case? (TCPA)

xganon nobody at xganon.com
Wed Jul 3 08:48:00 PDT 2002

Ryan Lackey writes:

> I consider DRM systems (even the not-secure, not-mandated versions)
> evil due to the high likelyhood they will be used as technical
> building blocks upon which to deploy mandated, draconian DRM systems.
> DRM systems inevitably slide toward being more mandated, and more draconian.
>
> DRM-capable TCPA-type systems are evil by the same argument, even if
> not used for DRM.
>
> The primary reason they are evil is not the stated goal of DRM systems
> (copy protection in various forms), but the ease with which they could
> be used to eliminate cypherpunk applications.

Do you really think that DRM systems could eliminate cypherpunk
applications?  Have you thought this through in detail?  Please expand
on it.

How many kinds of software would have to be eliminated for this to
be true?  What constitute "cypherpunk applications"?  In how many forms
could they be written and distributed?

What kind of world would be necessary for DRM systems to actually be in
use for the purpose of eliminating cypherpunk applications?