[OT] why was private gold ownership made illegal in the US? (Re: "to outlaw general purpose computers")

Harmon Seaver hseaver at cybershamanix.com
Tue Jul 2 17:31:11 PDT 2002

   Wasn't the dollar backed by silver for quite awhile? There were definitely
real silver dollars coined for quite awhile, and the dollar said something on it
about silver certificate. Likewise many smaller coins had a high silver content
-- this ended sometime during Vietnam, not sure the year. I've still got a bag
of silver coins laying around somewhere.

--
Harmon Seaver
CyberShamanix