maximize best case, worst case, or average case? (TCPA

R. A. Hettinga rah at shipwright.com
Mon Jul 1 20:16:48 PDT 2002

At 6:46 PM -0700 on 7/1/02, Joseph Ashwood wrote:

> DRM is a tool.

I agree. And I don't think any tool is evil, either, and, I bet, Ryan
probably doesn't want to come across as a hoplophobe as you're depiction of
his calling a particular technology evil makes him sound either. :-).

That said, there are *useless* tools, and I think that most DRM stuff --
except where it is used merely to authenticate content, which you can do
with the eventual equivalent of an iButton -- will turn out to be a very
*useless* tool. Something on the order of a dirigible, maybe, or an
autogyro, or a coal-fired steam-powered car, or a gilt-edged intaglio
printed industrial bearer bond. Entertaining, and evangelized by a few,
heh, fanatic supporters, :-), but not used for much else.

Cheers,
RAH

--
44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA