on 'evil' as an abbreviation (Re: maximize best case, worst case, or average case?)

Major Variola (ret) mv at cdc.gov
Mon Jul 1 11:41:51 PDT 2002

At 07:25 PM 6/30/02 -0500, xganon wrote:
>Ryan Lackey provides a detailed analysis, but he gets off to a bad
start
>right at the beginning:
>
>> DRM systems embedded in general purpose computers, especially if
>> mandated, especially if implemented in the most secure practical
>> manner (running the system in system-high DRM mode and not allowing
>> raw hardware access to anything at any time on the platform...are
evil.

>So DRM systems are evil?  Why?  What makes them evil?  There is no
>justification offered for this claim!  Are we all supposed to accept it

>as obvious?

Evil = bad = counter to our goals.  One of our goals is to have
general-purpose
computers widely available.  A DRM layer between us and the hardware
is counter to that goal, ergo, undesirable from this perspective.

Its like a governor in a car.  Do you want one in yours?   Are you
willing
to pay for the decreased driving flexibility and decreased reliability
(extra parts,
after all) of your car?  What makes you think you can require one in
mine?

Speaking only for myself