Treason files: Davis' wiretap illegal

Anonymous Use-Author-Supplied-Address at [127.1]
Wed Jan 16 13:49:29 PST 2002

Legal Advice Sinks Davis' Wiretap Bill

 Security: The proposal is dropped after legislative counsel finds "roving" tracking of calls illegal.

http://latimes.com/news/local/la-011602taps.story

MIGUEL BUSTILLO and NANCY VOGEL, Times Staff

Writers

SACRAMENTO -- Gov. Gray Davis' proposal to let state and local

police obtain roving wiretaps on suspected criminals was dropped

from the legislation containing it Tuesday after the legislative counsel's

office concluded that it was illegal.

The proposal, a centerpiece of Davis' State of the State address last

week, had been welcomed by some law enforcement leaders but

criticized by civil libertarians and some liberals.

Davis unveiled the idea at the outset of a reelection bid in which he

faces challenges from three Republicans--former Los Angeles Mayor

Richard Riordan, Secretary of State Bill Jones and investor Bill Simon

Jr.--each vying for the GOP nomination to take on the Democratic

incumbent.

Asked to size up the chances of a roving-wiretap bill passing now,

Assemblyman Fred Keeley (D-Boulder Creek) said: "I think none.

There is no opportunity, because whether the Legislature has the will

or not, our attorney is telling us it is moot because we lack the

authority."

<snip>