Cypherpunk Agitprop.

Aimee Farr aimee.farr at pobox.com
Wed Jan 16 19:45:49 PST 2002

Faustine:

> Aimee wrote:
>
> >I'm so damn mad, I can't even subscribe to a mailing list.....
>

> YEAH!!! THAT'S THE SPIRIT!!!!!

Spirit of ignorance. Somebody FWD'd a quip from Tim May, posted to another
list, referring to an "Agent Farr," connected with hypothetical terroristic
acts. I am only a victim of May's master polemics.

> But I have to admit I was rather hoping you'd come back
> anonymously to mix it up
> and give everyone a little hell in the grand manner. Oh well.

I'm going to disappoint you.

> You know, people around here just aren't the same without a
> sufficient number
> of convenient targets to flatter their egotistical delusions about being
> followed around by crack teams of Special Agents who find them so
> fascinating
> they can't resist posting replies in their pet forums. (Admitting
> you have a
> research interest in people who think they're subjects of
> surveillance just
> wasn't important enough, I guess.)

Texas humor. It's misunderstood. It's partially my fault you caught hell, I
"aggravated" Tim. In retrospect, it was most unwise. I should try to stay
out of his radar.

> You haven't missed much though. Did you know that a lard-assed
> welfare parasite
> arsonist lunatic put a four-dollar bounty on your head a month or
> so ago?

No, I didn't. I have many admirers.

> I was
> quite offended mine wasn't any higher--

I'm flattered my head was worth $4.

My first TNA.

> "I have always been among those who believe that the greatest
> freedom of speech
> was the greatest safety, because if a man is a fool, the best
> thing to do is to
> encourage him to advertise the fact by speaking."
> - --Woodrow Wilson

:)

Reminds me, book of situational interest:

American Political Prisoners: Prosecutions [Under the Espionage and Sedition
Acts]
By Stephen M. Kohn (Praeger, 1994, ISBN: 0-275-94415-8, 240 pages).

The gist: The book is the product of FOIA requests (and a successful
lawsuit), consisting of official correspondence, letters from prisoners,
photos, etc. of people "not thinking correctly." The prisoners in the book
ran a gamut from labor, anarchists, pacifists, etc. Conditions of
confinement were so poor, that some died before trial, others went insane,
or become infected with TB in prison. Many of them simply circulated written
material. Statements such as "gone crazy over patriotism," "We need
preparedness, not to kill one another, but to live peaceably, happily and
equally," and "war is organized murder," effectively netted people
torturous, abusive conditions. We convicted several preachers for preaching
"do not kill," others for criticizing war bonds, many for membership in the
IWW, and a substantial number of people based on no evidence whatsoever.
(WWI was trench warfare. The military had not yet mastered combat
discipline.) In the eyes of many, patriotism was used as a weapon to quash a
movement (organized labor) seen as a threat to our power structure. It put
an ugly, human perspective on what I otherwise knew as just a few cases and
names.

The laws are still on the books. (Our sabotage and espionage laws do need
reworking.)

I was struck by how some called themselves "internationalists." Our national
security outlook predicts the rise of NGOs and networks based on subnational
identifiers, which will be the cause of subversion and insurrection on a
global scale. It doesn't sound too much unlike the "internationalists," does
it?

The reaction in other countries will no doubt be more extreme.

(I don't envy our people that have to make foreign faction-calls in the
coming environment, it's like sticking your head in a guillotine.)

~Aimee