Random Data Compressed 100:1 (Guffaw)

Eric Cordian emc at artifact.psychedelic.net
Wed Jan 16 18:23:33 PST 2002

Seems our intrepid reporter has given Mr. Saint George, the ZeoSync CEO,
his own writeup in Wired News.

http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,49599,00.html

Particularly interesting is the following claim...

  "What hasn't been previously proven, we're proving. We can compress
   every single permutation of an N-member set. These are going to be the
   details that we're going to be announcing in a few days."

Last I counted, there were N! permutations of an N-member set, and N^N
sequences of N elements taken from an N-member set.

For big N, and even moderately sized N, N! << N^N.

I hope Mr. Saint George hasn't spent the last 12 years of his life
discovering that permutations are compressable.

--
Eric Michael Cordian 0+