The vital private archive

F. Marc de Piolenc piolenc at mozcom.com
Tue Jan 15 18:38:00 PST 2002

Michael Motyka wrote:

> >E-books are already a fact, but most are sold with the same retail
> >machinery as regular books, so changing the medium doesn't change the
> >risk.
> >
> I mean something more along the lines of encrypting each of your
> electronic books and burning it to a CD. Nobody should be able to tell
> by looking what you read, nobody should be able to compromise someone
> else's library. Then the issue of reading habits become null. All tools
> should be open source. Essentially they already exist - just need a
> little packaging.

That's pretty much what I understood you to say. The problem is that
somewhere in the bookdealers' and jobbers' archives, the sales record
will have to be accessible by title and by customer or customer
category. In the case of a cash sale, of course, there's no problem, but
if a credit card was involved the dealer has to be able to retrieve the
record by name in case there's a chargeback or complaint. So the
vulnerability to a police razzia still exists.

Marc